Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In which the staples are removed

After the "highs" of last night, we have the lows of today...this is the way it's going to be for awhile I guess.

I woke up all "bright eyed and bushy tailed" looking forward to getting out of the house for the first time since I got home from the hospital. Sandy helped me wash up and dress and then we were off!

The ride to L&M was somewhat jarring...guess my old Camry isn't as smooth a ride as it used to be. Anyway, glad I had the "splint pillow" to hold against my abdomen....keeping my guts in! LOL!

The walk from the parking garage to the clinic shocked me. I was left feeling pretty breathless and weak. Damn good thing I joined the gym awhile ago and had been going and working out! I shudder to think of what my strength would be right now if I hadn't been working out.

Anyway, we got the paperwork done and settled in to wait to see the doctor. We waited...and waited....and waited...and I had increasing pain in the small of my back, despite having taken the pain meds just before we left the house. I was pretty surprised actually at how much pain I was having. I walked up and down in the waiting room and then the hall. Then Robin came out to see me! She said that she would.

I told Robin I needed her healing touch on my back and she obliged me immediately. I could feel the difference and what a relief it was. Then she got me set up in a recliner in the waiting room...which provided relief to my feet and legs..which swell very quickly. I dozed in the chair, still waiting for the doctor.

The nurse came out and apologized for the lateness...Dr. Lachance had two new patients this AM and had to go to the Tumor Board that meets only once a month...so he was woefully behind. He had reassured her that I was very nice and wouldn't give her a hassle about being delayed. He was right. I understand that people need reassurance from the doctor and if that means that he spends more time with them...so be it. The nurse told us the secret is to ask for the first appointment of the day! Which we did later...next time we go it's at 8:30!

Then they took me in, weighed me...still over 200lbs! 204.3 I told the nurse, "to think I weighed 165 two weeks ago!" She asked Sandy, "Is she kidding?" Nope...not kidding. That's a BIG WEIGHT SHIFT! That's why the fluid shifting that has been going on since the surgery is so critical...and why they were watching it so carefully.

Dr. Lachance took the staples out...37 of them...I had Sandy count them last night. A couple of they were particular OWIES!!!! But the rest went the way staples do...which is weird feeling..if you've never had staples removed. You can feel them jiggling as they come out and sometimes a little something catches in there, before it pops out. It's like having a series of little bee stings. Not quite as bad as a bee sting and it doesn't last as long..but, you get the picture. At least that's my experience with staples.

He gave me my options for chemo. Well...he has to research one of them to see if it even IS an option. They are doing a clinical trial of a drug that has been successful with ovarian cancer, lung cancer and breast cancer. It is not a documented use for ovarian cancer yet and they are trying to get it documented. I may not be eligible for the trial because I had gastric bypass and they generally try to reduce the variables.

That trial is only available to me if I go to Women's and Infants in Providence for chemo.

If I go the "regular route" of chemo I can have it at Backus, which I prefer...and after a few sessions of chemo they would check my CA125 level and if they were looking good, they would bring me back into the OR to remove my other ovary, uterus and spots of cancer that they didn't get the first time. If I was in the trial...I wouldn't have the option of having that surgery. So, another variable.

Lots of things to think about. It may all be moot though, (note I said MOOT...not MUTE) as I may not even be eligible for the trial, as I said. So, we'll wait to see what he learns about this.

We had a good laugh at the hospital...the lady in the office referred to me as "your mother" when talking to Sandy. Sandy wasn't sure she heard what she heard, so when it happened again, Sandy set her straight that I'm not her mother! The woman was mortified!

What is it about L&M...this is the third time at that place that people thought I was Sandy's mom! Including one memorable incident in the ER years ago when I had brought Sandy in for breathing problems...I was waiting in line to get her registered when they came out of the back...where they were working on Sandy...looking for "the mother." I studiously ignored them as I wanted to make a point...finally this hispanic woman who was sitting next to me waiting to register turns to me, points right at me and shouts to them. THE MADRE THE MADRE! Sue Johnston was with me and we just bout fell on the floor laughing!

Anyway, at Backus Hospital, they never have made that assumption.

They took urine spec on the chance that my back pain is from a UTI. We dropped off my prescriptions at the store and then I was finally home.

I ate a big lunch...a bowl of Mary Anne Bouthillier's soup and two slices of that wonderful bread. Then I collapsed in the recliner and slept for a couple of hours.

I'm home alone and feeling all grown up. Sandy went to see the Lippanzer stallions at Mohegan Sun with Janet, her mother and Dorothy. I'm here with the pooches....keeping warm as the temperature drops.

I am so lucky...I have a wonderful family, friends, support system, doggies and a kitty who love me and a wonderful home. I am recuperating in a beautiful setting.

Now I will be resting, resting, resting. I'm going to try to sleep in my bed tonight. With the stitches out I can move a bit better now and maybe I'll be able to spend some significant time in the bed. That would be the heights of decadence right now...to sleep in my own bed.

Looking forward to my sister and her pals coming from Massachussetts for a visit this weekend.

Everyone keep warm...don't be foolish...WEAR A HAT! It looks GREAT on you!

1 comment:

SueBear said...

Hats do NOT look good on me...on the other hand, frostbite is an ugly, ugly business!!!

It's been so cold walking lately I'm even considering investing in a ski mask or a scarf, mom. LMFAO