Saturday, May 2, 2009


I have been having problems with started a few days ago. I had it a little bit after the chemo before this last one...the fifth chemo. This trouble started almost three weeks after the sixth chemo.

Thursday night was the worst feet were tingling all the way up to my knees...the left one worse than the right. And, in the morning two fingers on each hand were numb. This concerned me as I really DON'T want neuropathy as a lingering side effect of the chemo.

For those of you who have neuropathy, you know what I mean....and I'm sure my situation is mild compared to some folks I know. My feet feel like they do just before or just after they "go to sleep" tingles and feels slightly numb. I know friends of mine who have the complete numbness...and I don't want to go there!

I asked "Little Ann-Marie", who was my nurse Friday--and she said that it can last up to a year. If the symptoms come on later in the chemo, the odds are that they will go away faster.

I think they are going away already! Am I the LUCKY ONE or what! This AM I felt only mild tingling and now it's happening only intermittently.....LUCKY DUCK!

Tomorrow I hope Lynne and David will come over....and I think Carol and Mark will come too. We'll fool around and I have exactly five steaks I can grill for us. I have some asparagus I can pick...but not enough for all of us. I may pick some up from the store. I'm going to chance leaving Lily for a short time so I can run to the store to pick up what I need--once I confirm that I will be having company!

I sent an email to Toni and Barb today asking them if they have any work for me. I could do physicals, but until my hair comes back, that's about all I can do. The hair (or lack of it) gives me away and the students could be thrown off the correct diagnosis.

My hair is growing so fast...I'll probably be able to fool the students by mid-June. Some of them are so unobservant---they won't notice the lack of eyebrows and eyelashes.

In some ways, I'm sorry to see my hair come back. I'm enjoying this baldness, the feeling of the sun and breeze on my bare head and I have to admit---as several people have said--my head does have a nice shape!

In a few minutes I'm calling Jack to reserve a hotel room at the MeadowMere in Ogunquit--where he works. We're taking Jean up there for her birthday later this month. Jack comes on duty at 11....and then I'm going to bed.

This AM Lily let me sleep until I wanted to get up---at 10:30. If Bubbles had been here I would have been up at 5:30 and again at 8:00 at the latest! I miss her, but is it nice to sleep without a 11 pound heat-producing, squirmy puppy in the bed every once in awhile!

Tonight Lil and I sleep peacefully again. Tomorrow they return. Oh and Truman qualified in Chances more Q in Chances and he wins his NATCH!! National Agility Champion Title! This is something he and Sandy have been working towards for about 8 years! I hope they do it tomorrow---Sandy isn't feeling well...she's hoping it's only allergies, but she has a horrible sore throat and sounds terrible! She's afraid that it's something worse and that she may have passed it on to me. Let's hope not....time will tell.

Nighty night!

1 comment:

Marieps said...

Sandy has the swine flu! OMG!