Monday, January 5, 2009

The last time Sandy was on vacation, she spent it running back and forth to visit me in the hospital. Today she spent it taking me to see the nurse and then to the hospital for x-rays.

I called the nurse in Rhode Island (again) this AM...they called right back because I threw in there the info about my lung. She told me to go to the ER...which I said I would do...but later thought about it and decided it was overkill. She also told me that I wasn't taking enough Immodium...so I have to increase that.

Instead of going to the ER (in Providence), I called my nurse practitioner at Dr. Galan's and asked if I could come in there. They called me right back and gave me a mid afternoon appointment.

It turns out that Kathleen (my nurse) used to work in ocology before she came to Dr. Galan's...so she really knows what she's talking about. She told Sandy that from now on, if we have questions and think we should go to the ER...call her first.

She listened to my lung and definitely heard the "catch" at the bottom. She checked my abdomen. I critiqued her exam...and she told me I knew too much for my own good.

She sent me to the hospital for a stat chest x-ray and told me she would call me. We went over to Backus and got that done...then went to Stop and Shop to get hand sanitizer and more Immodium. Then we went to Pagoda and picked up supper, including egg drop soup and plain white rice for me.

Oh...when I went to the doctor's and to the hospital...I was good and wore a face mask...to protect myself as today is one of the days when I am most vulnerable. We were really trying to avoid any outside contact, but it couldn't be avoided.

So...I was quite the sight, with my mask and my hat covering my bald-headedness. But I was safe! I even used hand sanitizer after the x-ray people had me sign their papers with one of their community pens. I couldn't help but notice that the countertop there was filthy! I'm sure they clean it every night..but by later afternoon, it's grey with dirt. So, I used the sanitizer. I'm trying to get into these new habits!

Speaking of my bald-headedness...I can spot white fuzz sprouting on the top of my head. Either my hair is coming back in white/blond like it was when I was a child...or I'm going white like my Nana Miller and Grandma Leavestrom...which is something I have always hoped for!

One can always hope....

Oh....Kathleen just called back...just as I was sure she wouldn't...she says I have made "tremendous progress" in reducing the amount of fluid in my left lung. There is still some way at the bottom. I told her that this was a new sensation...but maybe the fluid is starting to swirl around the drain like the sink does as the water is running low....she agreed that maybe it is..and that is what I am feeling. Nothing to worry about...just the news I wanted to get!

To coin a phrase....Life is Good. I am cleared to go to Maine on Friday..unless Dr. Lachance says otherwise.

1 comment:

Janet said...

SOUNDS LIKE GOOD NEWS ALL THE WAY AROUND. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. I'LL BE LOOKING FOR YOUR BLOG WED. AND SEE WHAT YOUR DOC HAS TO SAY. I FINALLY FOUND LINDSAY'S BLOG AND SUBSCRIBED TO THAT TOO.