Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

Big day today....woke up to sun shine...nice. Last night, just as I put my book away and rolled over to shut out the light, my glasses fell apart! So, this AM I had to hike down to WalMart to get them fixed. Since they were still under warranty they gave me a whole new frame! Wow! I was hoping for just a new bow.

I got home just in time to get up to Joanne and Mike's and hope on the trailer for the annual Fourth of July "tractor parade" that this neighborhood is famous for. It was a small-ish parade this year, only about six tractors. We went to Amanda Lane for the formation of the parade and met the new people who just moved into the house that Deb used to live in. Surprise! The new people are Karen Lauk and her fiancee....I know Karen from the old Camp Bark. So it was like old home week.

The parade took about an hour, wending our way through all the cul de sacs and waving at all the kids and neighborhood dogs. We threw candy out to the kids. I learned more about the neighbors and met some new people. Linda, who lives across from Carol and Mark, told me that her husband built our house. This info may come in handy someday. Maybe he can explain the mysterious wiring in the house. We have wall switches that aren't connected to anything.

OUCH! The fireworks next door just started with a HUGE BANG! We've been dreading the start of the fireworks all day, ever since we heard about the plans. We considered taking the dogs out for a ride into the Pachaug forest--we figured no one would be setting off fireworks there...but we are too tired to be out riding around.

I turned the volume on the tv up...hoping this masks most of the sounds. Probably wishful thinking. We're listening to House Hunters at 75% volume...deadly.

After the parade I went to Mike and Joanne's for awhile...they had a little cookout. It was nice visiting with them and Joanne's Mom...she of "mussell making" fame. She agrees that we should do two mussell making parties a in Sept and one in April. Joanne has two pans of mussells in her freezer and cooked some up for us. YUM!

Then I went home, collected Sandy, who was having some wheezing problems (first time in a long time) and we went up to Barb and Mary's for another cookout. I went swimming (for about two minutes) while Mary lounged in a blow-up recliner in the water. The kids had water balloons and one of them got her right in the mouth. She handled it well though and then we all watched as she manuevered her way out of the recliner and onto the dock and then into her artificial leg. She asked me to hold her leg and protective sleeve, telling me not to let them get wet--as she was getting out of the water. I got her in line by threatening to throw the works in the pond. She shaped up fast, let me tell you!

Then she let me drive her around in her golf cart. What fun! I even drove the cart down the "nature trail" through the woods, where we spotted trees and even a squirrel!

Barb and Mary have a "party boat"--one of those pontoon boats. I have to go out in it someday. Sandy's chest was hurting so we had to leave early, before we could get a ride. There was a concern that they were going to run out of gas, so I'm kind of glad we didn't go out. Although I did have baked there would have been plenty of gas, if you know what I mean.

We got to meet Barb's kids and grandsons. Very nice family. We also had a nice conversation with Michael and Doreen, who rent the cottage next door to them every year. Michael is a big UConn fan (both teams) so we had lots to gab about. He is a hotel manager and I would have loved to hear his stories...but Sandy was really hurting so I took her home.

Sandy is okay now. She did a breathing treatment and the air conditioning helped.

I'm going kayaking with Deanna, Lorraine, Charmine and Pat tomorrow. They were making plans to kayak at Hopeville Pond and asked me to join them. Sandy can't go, so I invited Barb to come with us. She met Charmine last week at the Relay and they got along. I doubt there's anyone in this world who WOULDN'T get along with the two of them!

So, Barb is coming at 11:30 to load my kayak on her truck and we'll meet the rest of them at Hopeville. After we're done we'll cook out at our place. Jean and Frank may come up to help Sandy put the doggie pool that the heat is here (we hope)...the doggies will need to swim. It will be good for Rocky's rehab too....wonder if we'll be able to get him to swim. Bubbles and Truman are really "un-Russell-like" in that regard. They love the water and most Russells do not!

I hope I can get Sandy to tolerate, at least, my desire to have company over to cook out. Tomorrow will be fine--her parents will be here after all. But I'd love to have Barb and Mary over, and Mike and Joanne, and Carol and Mark and other folks too....

We'll see. She's grudgingly (is that a word?) accepting the fact that we're having the Open House next month....maybe there's hope that we can entertain at other times.....

The explosions are getting louder...the dogs are barking furiously....but no one is cowering in fear. The fun is just beginning...


Nighty night!

No comments: