Friday, March 19, 2010

My apologies...

I realize I am remiss in not keeping up the blog. I should have posted yesterday, but didn't.

I keep forgetting that some people who read this blog are not on Facebook, or aren't my "friends" on Facebook, which is where I go now to update folks on what is going on.

I have to get in the habit of posting here after I post on FB. Or vice versa.

Anyway, to bring the rest of you up to speed. With apologies to my FB friends, who have already heard this and are bored to tears with it all.

I went to see Dr. McCourt yesterday. She showed me the CT scan report...which was VERY SHORT! That's great news. It said that no cancer was seen in the areas where there was cancer before! And, my CA 125 is down to THREE! That's only one point higher than my lowest score last year! Now, hopefully the chemo will go after any little bad boys that might be lurking in dark places and kill them off for good!

My counts were way down, so low that I couldn't have chemo today, it would have been too risky. So, they have scheduled me for next Friday and want me to get my bloodwork done early Thursday AM...to give me the best chance of my counts coming up. I don't know if it will work. Last year after the third round I had to wait three weeks before things got back to normal.

I don't know what it is about that third round...it really knocks you for a loop! I don't care, as long as it's the death knell for the bad guys.

Dr. McCourt is concerned that "we can't get a handle on the diarrhea" (which painted a very weird, and sick, picture in my mind, but I kept my mouth shut about it. I told her not to worry, it will do what it's going to do and nothing I do or don't do will have any effect on it. If it continues when the chemo is done, then I'll be concerned. And how bad can it be? I lose sleep, yes, but I gained three pounds! OUCH! Not what I wanted to hear.

We've been enjoying the weather out on the deck this week. I had my breakfast out there a couple of times. It was so nice today, I didn't miss the hospital at all.

We switched out the comforter on the bed today...out came the spring comforter. The winter one has to go to the laundromat and this time I will remember to bring the tennis balls to put in the dryer with the comforter...to get the down spread evenly. I forgot last year and it bunched up in the wrong places and was flat in the wrong places too.

I think I may have had an allergic reaction to the flowers Joyce brought Tuesday. My friend Joyce Kuusela, (Joyce Migneault) from high school came to visit and brought me flowers. Afterwards my throat started getting scratchy and I started sneezing. I had to sleep sitting up that night because the constant drip drip was making me cough. I thought I was coming down with a cold, but Sandy had a different idea.

Wednesday I had to cancel out on a dinner date with Bob and Wini....I was going to take them to the Mexican restaurant where the King's Inn is. I was really looking forward to it and was bummed when I had to cancel. I felt so achy and out of it. Sandy moved the flowers into one of the spare bedrooms and closed the door. I started feeling better.

When we found out my counts were low Sandy was convinced that it was the flowers, so they had to go. Interestingly, I have felt better and better since they were removed from where I was. Sandy is a brilliant diagnostician! She always has been.

I have started with the night sweats again. I have had hot flashes, but until I had chemo I had never had the sweats. Last night I had the worst one ever and can now relate to my friends who talk about soaking the sheets. The sweat was running down my neck and back and left a huge puddle in the bed. I couldn't believe the amount of sweat there was behind my knees! I lay there for a long time, half freezing and half over-heated while I worked up the courage to get out of bed.

Finally I got up and went into "my" bathroom and toweled myself off with my big terry cloth bathrobe, freezing all the while. We had two windows open in the bedroom last night, with fans running in both windows! This morning it was 46 degrees in there. No wonder I was freezing.

I'm hoping that having the ligher comforter on the bed with help with the sweats. Although part of me really doubts it. We'll see.

I'm not going to complain. I am officially in remission and almost done with treatments. I have my priorities straight!

Oh, they called Sandy to come for another interview with the hiring manager at Backus for that IT job. It really sounds that the job is hers for the asking. They told her to expect a call and they will make her a salary offer. We discussed it and we believe we have a figure that will work for her and for them. We are very excited...this will put her working M-F first shift, flexible hours, with very little weekend work required. We won't know how to act! No more going to bed at 7:30 and me having to be quiet downstairs or not have people over, etc. Perfect for all the agility trials she wants to do.

Now she wants to buy a motorhome with the extra money, so we can have it loaded for agility trials and I can come with her. Save on hotel and food expenses. She figures she would be able to afford payments on a motorhome with her new salary...but we aren't counting our chickens....because we don't HAVE chickens!

Nighty night!

No comments: