Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BIG NEWS!

Nothing really to report...just wanted to get your heart's racing. Ha ha! (as Nelson says).

I've been resting up a bit. Have been able to do some work around the house. Saturday night Mark and Carol came over for fish and chips from Occum. I vacuumed and cleaned downstairs AND did laundry. After supper (on the deck---a bit chilly) I managed to sit with them for about a half hour and then I had to go up to bed. I was POOPED!

I still can't get over how exhausted I am. Those chemicals (chemo)are POTENT! I guess they have to be since they kill cancer.

Yesterday Lynne came up and Sandy, Lynne and I went out to eat at Ruby Tuesday's to
celebrate Sandy's new job!!!! Yes, Sandy got the first shift IT job at Backus. She will be working M-F, some occasional weekend work and on-call two to three times a year. And, she may even be able to stay at home and handle the calls through remote access on her computer!

WOW!!! AND, HOLIDAYS OFF! AND......AND.....AND....A LOT more $$ than we thought she would be making! We are pinching ourselves.

Someone once said that you make your own luck. We feel that we have been lucky, but we HAVE made a lot of our own luck. We went to school, got speckial training, were flexible and moved around in the same organization, paying our dues and getting a variety of experience. And our rewards are: me getting the management job and being able to retire early with a good retirement check and now she is getting the reward of a desk job, doing something she loves and maybe even getting something she has wanted for years....an office. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Another of my ship's might be coming in. I joined the AOL lawsuit...over them not paying us when we were "Community Leaders." I was the host of the women's basketball chatroom for years without compensation beyond getting my AOL service free. Someone sued and I joined in the suit. Now "we" (meaning the lawyers) have won the suit and we will be getting $$ in payment for our services. The average settlement is $3,000+ I'd be surprised if I got that, but anything would be a very nice GIFT!

The Huskies are tearing up the tournament thus far. It's halftime now in t he Temple game and UConn is shooting 78% from the field. They are winning by 43 points. Maya Moore has been on fire. I think she heard what C. Vivian Stringer said about her...that "she's a player who, in big games, get late start." I think C Viv is onto something there...and I think Geno showed the article to Maya. I wouldn't put it past him.

BTW, do you think Geno will mellow once he becomes a grandfather? His daughter is going to have a baby in a couple of months. That will be something to see. I know Calhoun mellowed A LOT when he became a grandpa.

I'm going to Kohl's tomorrow and hitting that handbag and shoe sale HARD!! I'm going to try on pointed toe shoes and everything you would think I would NEVER do! I've been watching Kelly and Clinton a lot lately. I am completely under their spell.

Oh, there's a couple of new shows that deal with hoarding. "Hoarding, Buried Alive", which we are recording and Niecy Nash has that "Clean House" or whatever it is. Sandy, Carol and Mark watched that the other night while I was upstairs and I could hear their "retching sounds," even with the bedroom door shut.

Another show I have found that I love is "The IT Crowd," an english show on the Independent Film Channel. So funny.

I've been reading more lately. Staying on top of my New Yorkers for once. Also finished Steve Rushin's "The Pint Man" and am now starting on a volume of his short stories "The Caddy was a Reindeer." He is so funny.

Okay, the second half is starting up. Have to run.

Nighty night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I caught "The IT Crowd" one night this past week...loved it!