Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Maine and more

We headed up to Maine Friday around noon, in Charmine's new car. Very nice car too, I might add. We picked up Maria, stopped at a Chili's on the way for lunch (got the bottomless tostados and salsa....great) and a cup of chili. Then it was on to Ogunquit.

The day had started out snowy, Sandy had to drive me to Waterford in the snow in the AM, for my hygienists check-up. That went well and by the time we got out of there, the snow had stopped. It did "clean everything up" as Charmine said, and it made for a pretty ride north.

We settled in our room and met up with everyone. We all went to a restaurant in Kittery, named Roberts. I had the lobster bruschetta, which was totally delicious! I concentrated on eating the lobster first, but did have some of the bruschetta too. There were nice big hunks of lobster, so I was very satisfied. Afterwards we headed back to the room...I was bushed.

I was bushed, but I couldn't sleep. Dunno why, but I did have some trouble falling asleep.

We all met at 9am in the "tea room" and headed to Bessie's for breakfast. No Mustafa this year, as he was freezing in Florida. I did bring the little UConn gnome which we named after him last year, too bad he wasn't there to see him again.

After breakfast we went for a ride to Wells, along the shore, to the place where Deanna and Lorraine stay. Charmine and Pat have also stayed there and they wanted me to see it. I guess they let you bring dogs with you. Hmmmmm......

Then it was time to hit Reny's. No sale this weekend...bummer. I roamed around but nothing really caught my eye. Then we went over to the clothes store and I roamed around there. Maria got some stuff, but I didn't spend. It didn't bother me to come up dry at the two stores. I enjoy saving money as much as I do spending it!

We headed back to the Meadowmere and got into our bathing suits and went to our favorite spot: the Roman Spa. Charmine was there and was just getting out, but hopped back in when she saw us. My stomach was crampy from breakfast and the water felt great. The temperature was perfect....everything settled down and I felt wonderful.

Then it was time to get ready for the big game. We met up with Jack in the hotel's theater and got the snacks out. Mary and Debbie came with Avery, great to see them again. Ann Marie was a little loaded, probably from the fact that she had two mudslides, made extra strong without her knowledge, after going in the sauna, steam room, Roman Spa AND hot tub! Of course she was going to be "under the weather," drinking after getting dehydrated!

Anyway, Ann Marie sat down front with some people she met by chance, who were trying to fix her up with their friend who lives on the Cape. They even got her on the phone with him during the game. They all talked and talked their heads off, down front and did not watch one second of the game. We couldn't hear the game's announcers throughout the whole game!

Suffice it to say, the Huskies pasted North Carolina. For crying out loud, Tina Charles outscored the entire NC team in the first half! No contest.

For dinner we ordered from a local Italian place and had it delivered to the hotel's pub, where we all gathered. Maria and I split an antipasto, which was pretty good. We agreed that they could have had more cheeses and some olives and onions would be nice. But it sufficed.

I slept almost like a log that night.

Next morning, Bessies for Breakfast again and then down to the beach to have our photo taken. Then we all hit the road to home....happy and looking forward to next year's gathering.

I had yesterday "off" which was good as all the activity caught up with me and I was very tired.

Carol sent over some cabbage and sausage soup. I made the mistake of having one and a half bowls of this delicious brew. First I felt a bit "icky" and then the deluge began. That cabbage did what it does to me and I spent the rest of the evening and night, in the bathroom, in fifteen minute intervals.....fifteen minutes on the pot and fifteen minutes off.

I can say with some conviction that "these pipes are clean!"

Good thing, just in time for me to pour that horrible chalk stuff down my throat in preparation for today's CT scan. Jean picked me up and we tootled off to Providence as I continued to drink the chalk. We had to stop once along the way, I couldn't make it all the way to the hospital...had to avail myself of Wendy's facilities.

Now I'm home and still visiting the can on a more than regular basis. Sandy has left with her folks to go to Woodstock to see Ryan play in a bball game. I'm here with the pooches, trying to get them tired out so I can go upstairs and nap....and not be disturbed.

I am very tired, h aving been up all night and the leftover effect from the weekend. But it's a good tired. I'm doing more, moving more, eating more, everything is starting to settle down. Just in time for chemo Friday. YEOW!!!

I'm looking forward to getting that first chemo under my belt. The first time could be a bit dangerous as the doctor explained it to me. Some people have an allergic reaction to one of the drugs if they have taken it before and have to restart it. So I have steroids I have to take to help with that....I have to take them at midnight Thursday and again at 6am Friday. Hopefully this will protect me...but if I have any problem I will have my own nurse there with me (Sandy) and she will be keeping them all on task.

So, tomorrow I'll drive for the first time since surgery, to go down and get my bloodwork done and then to Stop and Shop to pick up one more medication. They all know me down there now. It's really sickening. I'm looking forward to being able to slide behind the wheel of my wonderful car. Another sign that things are getting back to normal, more and more.

Nighty night!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing your trip in detail, I can just see the fluffy snow....sigh. And I can picture each meal as you describe it...that Lobster sounded great! Hope you get all rested up for Fridays Chemo, and that it goes OK for you...lucky you to have a special private Nurse, who happens to love ya!! Jim & I send our best thoughts to you....