Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday in Virginia

We drove through horrific rainstorms yesterday from Tennessee all the way into Virginia. We didn't even get the dogs out of the car to pee and poop until we were almost at our destination. They weren't even interested in getting out in that rain to pee and poop. When we did get them out, Rocky peed and then shivered uncontrollably until we got him back in his kennel...then we didn't hear a peep out of him.

We saw eight accidents along the way...all but one of them were single car things. I think people were either driving too fast for the conditions (they were blowing by us) or they made the mistake of leaving their cruise control on....most of the cars we saw were down in the median, spun around the opposite way. We saw one that happened a few minutes before we got there, they were up the embankment, with their front end pointed towards the road...they had spun around and shot up the hill. We kept on driving, there were cars stopped to help them....but I did feel guilty about not stopping.

There was two accidents that involved two cars and the police were there...lots of police. One accident had ambulances on the scene. All of these just cautioned us to drive slowly and carefully. Despite all of that we only lost a half hour of travel time due to the rain.

We are back in the hotel where we stayed on the way down. This time we are in a different wing and I think they allow smoking somewhere in this section. We have a non-smoking room, but it smells of smoke. The hotel manager insisted on trying to pet the Russells this Sandy said, "Rocky earned his keep!" She pet him and that gave Sandy time to warn her about not petting Truman or Bubbles. I just whisked Bub away, back to the room, leaving Sandy to chat with her about the dogs.

This is the hotel that had the power loss as we were packing up to leave on our way to TN. Something happened in the area and the power went out all around. We had to finish packing in the dark essentially, it wasn't too light out when we were leaving.

Cindy came over again last night. She and Sandy went to Bojangles and picked up our supper, chicken biscuit for Cindy, steak biscuits for Sandy and me. YUM! I haven't had a Bojangles biscuit in years! Bob Duncan used to FedEx them to us from South Carolina years ago.

We had a nice visit with Cindy and made plans for her to come visit next year....hopefully in October. We'll take her around to get good photos. We want to go to Maine. Maybe we'll go up and see puffins!

So, now we head to Pennsylvania. The sun is breaking through, should be a good day for traveling. I have my jeans's cool out there. We froze yesterday, the temperature dropped so fast. Today I smartened up and am dressed for success!

See you soon!

1 comment:

Carol and Jim said...

I am so happy to hear you made it to VA without an accident! As I watched the weather channel yesteday, it looked like your trip was directly in the storm the entire way. They have just removed the flood warning for our area this morning and the sun is now out and shining. I'm off to Bojangles for a biscuit!