Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day after Chemo #8

Okay, I admit it...I think I'm getting some chemo in these new sessions. My blood pressure is still up, I still have the diarrhea (despite being on Lomotil); I'm very tired today and I just feel "different." Sandy is now sure I'm getting the Avastin. I'm getting to that point too.

I did well yesterday, once again I drove up and back. Lynne is a trooper, she shows up at 8am and comes with me. She helps me remember what I need to ask about when I'm there.

Oh, that's another symptom I had yesterday afternoon, I got all "fuzzy in the head," and I don't mean my hair...even though that is quite fuzzy! No, I mean I coudn't think straight. Sandy was asking me something and I couldn't remember, concentrate and respond appropriately...for awhile. She let me be for a bit and then we got the conversation started and finished later.

I'm nibbling on the matzos that Lynne brought for me...she says it will help with the diarrhea. I hope so.

Anyway, it was a short session yesterday. Met a nice 80-something year old who was getting one med like me. She has ovarian cancer but they can't operate because of her heart. So they are giving her chemo.

Jason (Dr. Lachance) came in to say goodbye. He felt bad about the way I had found out about his departure for Maine. He was going to tell me some time back, but because my treatment schedule got out of whack so much, he missed the opportunity. It's okay. I will miss him, but I think he came into my life for a reason--to do the surgery that would help me get rid of the cancer. He did that and now it's time for him to move on to do things to help other people. I'm not saying he didn't help anyone else, but I do believe things happen for a reason and there is some special reason why he needs to go now.

I brought my camera, hoping I would see him yesterday. Lynne took a picture of me with him and I took one of her with him. Then last night, neither picture would download to my computer! I'm going to take the picture card out and try to download it with Sandy's camera. It figures though, doesn't it?

I made Lynne a breakfast/lunch to thank her for going with me. She has done so much to help me and Sandy....I can tell another lobster dinner is in the future!

I'm waiting to hear back from my cousin Phyllis, I emailed her to see if we could meet at IKEA next week. I hope so...it has been so wonderful meeting ALL my cousins thus far, the ones here and the ones in Sweden. I can't wait to meet her...and take her around IKEA. She lives in New Haven and hasn't been to IKEA!! Man, I'd be there every week!

Rocky had the pin removed from his femur and he is back home now "resting." He is so sweet, I had him on my lap and Bubbles came up and licked his wound, where the stitches are. He leaned over and kissed her! He's still dopey from the anaesthesia...poor thing. I guess he had a ball playing with Patty's dogs and a baby pug (8 weeks old) who was at the vet's...it belongs to one of the techs. Patty said he was good with the puppy.

Today is his birthday. Sandy says she thinks he would be a good therapy dog...I was telling her about the terrier mix they had at the Cancer Ctr. yesterday...going around with his hospital ID badge around his neck! I agree, Rocky is the type of little love who would be a great therapy dog.

He has to be "quiet" for two more weeks...and then he can run free in the back yard. I hope that Truman gets over himself and starts to play with Rocky. If Truman does, then Bubbles will too. If they don't, we will bring Rocky to other places so he can play with other dogs. He deserves to have that kind of fun activity.

Sandy slept for a couple of hours and then she took off for Wrentham with Truman. Bubbles was supposed to go too, but we agreed that since she was going alone on little sleep (I was going to drive her today) it was best that I keep the other ones at home today. Tomorrow Jean will go with her and all the dogs will go---I have to stay home for the Sun game at 4pm.

Did I say how I got Sandy to go to Russell's Ribs Thursday on the way home from my appointment? She got a HUGE beef short rib and I got a dinner item--spare ribs and a split chicken. She and I had it for leftovers yesterday and I'll be eating more today and tomorrow...a lot of food. If you go to Russell's, don't bother getting the potato salad--it says "egg base" but there was no egg in it...tasted like something they got at a store, not something they made. Their fries aren't that great either. I did like the onion rings that Sandy ordered. They are HUGE so you don't get that many...but the ones you do get are very good. Next time I'll try the barbecued baked beans and the sweet potato fries. The corn bread is very tasty.

So ends my latest restaurant review. If I ran the place, I'd have better potato recipes....I'd have fresh cut fries--like you get at Ray's at the Woodstock Fair; and I would have great potato salad. No store bought stuff.

I've been watching "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" too much....and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares--I insist on fresh, homemade and local!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROCKET aka ROCKY!!! You are a little LOVE! Been with us for only a short time, but I'm already crazy about you.

No comments: